Friday, 2 September 2011

On phone calls

I am interrupting my usual challenges for a 'serious' post.

I am capturing the emotions and feelings exactly as they are for me right now!

Today I received a phone call to tell me I had got the job... yes 'the' phone call, the one saying 'hey lady life is about to change as you know it'... 

I have had a fair few monumental phone calls in my life some bad about lost loved ones, some good on new life and challenges.  This phone call was what I have hoped and dreamed about for four years - I have been offered my dream job!  And I am really not exaggerating I promise - it really is the job of my dreams! I am going to be a practising midwife within the of the UK's largest healthcare trusts, which means the sky really is the limit where my new career is concerned. Which means that I am going to make such a difference to so many lives, I am going to get up every day and do what it is I love and in a wonderful environment! 

Oh how my life has changed! In 2007 my life was so different both in my personal life and in my career.  I had just been made redundant from a job that was 'comfortable' but never quite exactly what I wanted but we all get comfortable in life.  It is easy to coast along and never challenge ourselves.  I have always wanted so much more but I just accepted my life.  It was a good life and suited me well.  When the rug was pulled from beneath my feet it lit a fire inside me and I thought to myself what is it I really want? After a lot of soul searching I chose midwifery.  It was a career choice that had never occurred to me ever to be honest but when you find what it is you are 'meant' to do in life things begin to make sense.

It was four years of turmoil, troubles, sadness, laughter and new discoveries.  I said goodbye to people I loved and considered giving up so many times.  I faced so many obstacles, so many who tried to break me down and got within a hairs breadth of succeeding but here I am - I made it!  I am living proof that it is never too late to achieve your dreams and as cliched as it sounds you can do anything if you put your mind to it!  So one access course, one degree and several interviews later I am now happy to report that I am there and it feels so good, I am literally on a high!

If someone had said to me in 2007 that four years from now I would be a midwife working at the hospital I am I probably wouldn't have believed them - but I am I really am and it's like the song: "what a feeling!"

Love Carly x o x o


5 comments :

  1. Fan-blooming-tastic I am so pleased for you even though I don't know you I can feel your excitement and that make me happy. Well done indeed. It is good to hear when perseverance breaks through like that

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your joy just radiates out and I feel so happy for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am thrilled for you.....you sound so happy!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! What a great accomplishment! You should be very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Carly, that's fab news! The hard work really does pay off :)

    ReplyDelete